See below current premiums for the different options for active coverage under the Health Plan. Note that you must meet qualification and minimum earnings requirements to participate in any of the Plan options listed below. Also, note that you can pay your Health Plan premiums online
. To learn more about how to qualify for individual or family coverage, visit the Earnings requirements page
Premiums for active coverage
Premiums for active coverage are typically adjusted annually each Jan. 1, but active premiums did not change from 2014 to 2015 or from 2015 to 2016. However, buy-up and COBRA premiums (see the two sections below active premiums) are expected to increase April 1, 2016.
2016 quarterly premiums for active coverage (effective since Jan. 1, 2014)
- Participant only ... $420 per quarter (whether qualified for individual or family coverage)
- Participant and legal spouse... $736 per quarter (if qualified for family coverage)
- Participant and children ... $736 per quarter (if qualified for family coverage)
- Full family ... $807 per quarter (if qualified for family coverage)
If you qualify for individual coverage -- but not family coverage -- under the AFTRA Health Plan, you may choose to "buy up" to family coverage by paying a buy-up premium, in addition to the individual "participant only" premium (see above), each quarter. Buy-up premiums are typically adjusted annually each April 1.
Current quarterly buy-up premiums (effective April 1, 2016)
- Additional cost to add one dependent ... $2,691 per quarter (plus the required individual "participant only" premium listed above)
- Additional cost to add two or more dependents ... $5,125 per quarter (plus the required individual "participant only" premium listed above)
Premiums for COBRA continuation coverage
Premiums for continuation coverage under the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA) are typically adjusted annually each April 1.
Current monthly premiums for COBRA continuation coverage (effective April 1, 2016)
- Participant only ... $898 per month
- Participant plus one dependent ... $1,813 per month
- Participant plus two or more dependents ... $2,641 per month
- One dependent only ... $915 per month
- Two or more dependents only ... $1,743 per month
Concerned about paying your premiums? Financial assistance and other resources
are available to assist participants who qualify. Refer to the 2011 Health Plan Summary Plan Description and relevant Benefits Updates for Health Plan qualification requirements, additional information and details.